Skip to main content

The Christmas Box


Remember how forever ago I said I would post a tutorial on how to fold these cute boxes.  Sigh, life is busy.  But I am here to fulfill my promise, even if it is a bit belated.  We had a Super Saturday at church with classes we could take.  My awesome friend, Becky, taught us how to create these, so I give her all the credit.
What you need, paper, scissors, ruler
pencil and some type of adhesive.


1.On the blank side of your paper
draw an X from each corner, using
a ruler.

2. Fold the bottom corner to the 
center.

3. Fold the bottom corner one more 
time up to the center.


4. Now you are going to do the exact 
two folds from steps 2 and 3 to the
 opposing top corner, so your
 paper will look like this.
5.  Unfold your paper and make
the same folds to left and right corners
that haven't been folded yet.  So once
again, fold the point to the middle.

6.  Do a second fold to the center
and then do the exact same folds
from steps 2 and 3 to the 

opposing corner.
7.  Your paper is once again going
to look like this.  Make sure you make
a firm crease with each fold.



8. Now Unfold your paper again.  
All the folds you have made
so far has created a lined graph
on your paper.  Take your scissors
and cut along the first crease right of
the pencil line. Cut two squares down.
Don't cut further than that!
9.  Cut 2 squares down along the
crease just left of the pencil line.
Once again, don't cut further
than the 2nd square.





10.  You are going to make the exact
same cuts to the opposing corner

from steps 7 and 8. Leave the 
other two corners uncut. Your 
paper should look like this
when you are done cutting.
11.  On one of the uncut corners, you
will once again take the corner and
fold it up to the center of the paper.






12.  Take the right flap and fold it
inward.
13.  Now fold the left flap inward so
it is on top of your right flap.

14.  Fold the rectangle you've now
created into the center.

15.  Follow the steps 11-14 for the
opposing top corner.  Once both
corners are folded, your paper
should look like this.

16.  Now pop up both sides from the
center.
17.  Take your flaps from both the
top and bottom and unfold them
so they are at a 90 degree angle.


18.  Take one of the side corners
that is just hanging out and fold it
over the wall you created with the
flaps to the center.  Use your
adhesive on the underside of
the point to make it stay.
19.  Follow step 18 for the last corner
and look what you have...







For the three boxes to sit on top of each other, I used paper that was a 1.5'' difference from each other.  I used the glue dots to get them to stay and then just tied a little ribbon around the whole thing.

Comments

  1. Very nice tutorial! I love how you took so many pictures to explain exactly what you were doing in each step! - Becky Shuler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your boxes are very nice. Does Danny remember making these with his family? I learned how to make little boxes out of old Christmas cards in Relief Society years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Crafty Trees, Oh Crafty Trees...

I've become a finals widow, if you will, meaning Danny is crazy busy trying to finish up the semester.  This has given me extra time to use my crafty skills to get our place Christmas ready.  My first creations were these little paper/foam trees.  I've seen a few variations online of this craft. I put my own little twist on it.  They are really easy to make, just takes some time. Here is what you need: Scrap paper Hot glue gun 1" Circle punch Foam cone (at most craft stores) Toothpicks Note:  You are going to go to the craft store to buy the little foam cone and you will see styrofoam glue and you will think to yourself that would be a good thing to buy for this project.  Don't!  I got the styrofoam glue and it didn't work at all.  Just go with your trusty glue gun, it won't let you down. I think it's pretty self-explanatory by looking at the picture.  You just punch circles out from the scrap paper.  Then hot glue the circles to the foam tree in

This Weekend

This weekend was a whirlwind experience.  I realize I could split this up into like 4 or 5 different posts, but I'm just going to do one big, long post.  So get a snack, get comfortable and prepare yourselves. Friday Night:  Danny's Concert with his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips Danny performed up at the Layton amphitheater and rocked the house!  I really mean that, he did such  a fantastic job.  He opened for his friends, The Atomic Thunderlips, who also put on an awesome show. I had great fun clapping along to the music with my nephews who came and being a bit of a proud wife in the audience.  We all went out for a late night dinner at Iggy's afterwards, which showed me that I'm not in college anymore, because I got heartburn afterwards.   (Growing old, sigh.) Members of the family that came to support! Me and my nephew Dr. C before the concert. The boys clapping along. He can play with his eyes closed, he's that good. Danny the guitar man

One of Those Nights

You know the time when you turn the corner too sharp and gouge one of your toes on the retro 70's border that lines your home and apparently you have really good blood circulation in your feet, because your toe starts bleeding profusely.  In an effort to stop the bleeding, you limp to the kitchen to grab a paper towel to clean up your poor toe only to track blood all over the carpet.  (But then, luckily the husband comes and helps clean up the blood trail, your sad, little toe and gets you a band-aid.)  So once you have recovered from your messy injury, your really nice husband makes you a smoothie to make you feel better, only for you to drip it down the front of you on one of your favorite shirts.  Yeah, it's been one of those nights.  Sigh. In other news, last week I went to the musical "Little Women" with Talena.  I wrote a review for the Utah Theater Bloggers Association, which you can read here .  It's been awhile since I've done any reviewing for th